Friday, September 02, 2005

Desire Street Ministries

Pat Robertson, have a seat. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a new winner.

At the esteemed news source of Christian Heritage News, you can read a stirring news release of support for the victims of the hurricane on one of their latest posts. (sarcasm mine)

While we are giving (hopefully) some money to World Vision and to some other ministries in the gulf coast area, we made our initial donation to The Red Cross. I had no idea that I was supporting the "gay agenda" to do so. I wish I could take my money back that has gone straight to feed, clothe and shelter those deplorable sinners. (again, sarcasm mine)

I sure was excited to see that news about the PCA in SE Louisiana and Mississippi made it onto the same site as the above letter. What an honor! That was actually how I found it, while searching for news about Desire Street Ministries, which is located in the 9th Ward of New Orleans.

We supported Desire Street Ministries and Mo Leverett back when we were in Athens at Redeemer Presbyterian Church. Mo Leverett started Desire Street in 1990 when he moved into one of the toughest neighborhood/housing projects in the South to begin to minister to the people there. I don't have time to dive into what all they do at Desire Street, but they have made a significant impact on that area in the last 15 years. You can read an introduction on their site.

Anyway, here are a few links that I've found about the status of Desire Street.

Here is the update direct from the Desire Street folks on their website.

Story in the Gainesville Sun.

Great story in the Macon Telegraph. Good background on the history of the project. Mo Leverett was from Macon, btw.

Here's a few blogs that are talking about it. here and here.

Mo is one of the best people I've ever met. We had him at Redeemer a few times while I was there. He's also a great songwriter. He made an effort to go into an urban area that the church and society at large had all but forgotten. Now, Desire Street is under water. I'm sure they'll attempt to rebuild after everything settles down, but need has massively increased in an area that already needed much.