Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Light Rail at 1/3 of the price?

I don't know if any of you saw this, but I thought it was hilarious at the time and I managed to stumble back across it not too long ago. Apparently this website called Live From The Third Rail that collects news about transit and rail all across the country read some of the light rail stories a few months ago:

"Some folks in Bentonville, Ark., otherwise known as the home of Wal-Mart, are considering light rail. Instead of going to Washington for federal funding, they could just get Chinese knock-off trains for half the price and pay illegal immigrants $7 an hour to drive them."

I'm currently re-reading the NWA Light Rail study that was done by the UA Community Design Center in preparation of a few posts about it in the next month or so. (Which hopefully means it won't join the list of things I said I was going to post about but didn't.)

read more: funny, light rail, NWArkansas