Thursday, May 11, 2006

Balance

Wow.

It's been 7 days since my last post and it didn't even feel like a day. I've got tons of stuff to write about and some great photos from around town this last week. Good sidewalks once again, more bad sidewalks, and a poor schmo trying to navigate orange barrels and speeding traffic while walking on Walton Boulevard.

I've had the absolute craziest two weeks, reaching a level of stress that is usually foreign to me. For those of you who don't "actually" know me, I'm the consistently even-keeled one in this marriage. Not to say that The Bride is crazy or anything like that, but let's just say she's a little more prone to circumstance than I. Come hell or high water, I stay pretty even and balanced, keeping my emotions in check for the most part. Thankfully, I've changed a lot since I was 14-21 or so, when everything that happened was the biggest crisis in the world and I could easily have been accused of being manic-depressive. I'm sure my mom still thinks it's funny that I'm so sane and balanced now after being the receiver of many an adolescent rage caused by the slightest stimuli.

Typical example:

"Mom, I HAD to stay out three hours past curfew, because _____ and I had IMPORTANT EMOTIONAL stuff to talk about that COULDN'T POSSIBLY WAIT until tomorrow when the sun is up. WHY DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND ME!!!"

Now, The Bride and I could have a fight late at night, and I'll be calm 5 minutes later and ready to go to sleep. That doesn't work with The Bride. Unresolved conflict before bed doesn't happen.

All this to say, that when difficult circumstances arise in our lives for whatever reason, I'm the steady one who kind of holds things together.

Not for the past two weeks, I wasn't. There was just a little too much going on for me to handle, and it's stuff that doesn't just go away after a day or two or when you deal with it. It's just long, protracted stress that doesn't stop because you try to quit thinking about it. I'll stay out of the details, but change is on the horizon for us. Regardless of what happens in the next few weeks, our lives are going to change by the end of the summer, in all likelihood. (NO, we're not having a baby, so don't even ask. The Bride will kill you.)

So this weekend, we're getting the hell out of dodge and going to Waco, Texas for the weekend. The Bride's grandmother lives there, and we've been meaning to get down there during baseball season to see her. She's a huge baseball fan, so I bought tickets today for the three of us to see Nebraska vs Baylor at Baylor's beautiful new ballpark. I'm going to hopefully hit the Brazos River for some bass fly-fishing, gladly getting wet without my waders since it's supposed to be in the 90's Saturday (Isn't it always 90 in Texas, even in December?)

Image from Chris Shafer's Brazos
River Fishing Guide Service

on the World Wide Fishing Guide site.

Should be a nice break for us, getting us away from everything going on around here and relaxing with family. Hopefully, we can unplug and relax for the weekend.

And I can recover my inner steadiness.

-------

On a joyful note, join me in celebrating the return of the Quantum Launch to the world, albeit under a different name this time: The Relaunch. Welcome back, Jennifer.

read more: fly-fishing, personal