Monday, August 22, 2005

antimethod photostream


sedona vortex
Originally uploaded by antimethod.
A friend of mine just sent me a link to this guy's photostream on flickr. Some of this stuff is just remarkable. Apparently, mr. antimethod, the photographer, won't share anything about his techniques to accomplish some of these photographs. A couple of his trademarks appear to be floating people strategically placed within the composition to balance it out. Sometimes birds as well.

Some of his photos look they're shot with a Holga, which is an inexpensive plastic camera that produces some interesting effects.

I can't tell, but it also looks like there's some digital post-manipulation going on, but I'm not really sure. I'm sort of out of this loop, but there's this whole emerging group of photographers who have really embraced digital photography and digital manipulation to create some looks that 'straight' photographers would never think of.

I've spent so much of my time focusing on how to tell a story by clearly documenting reality, I've never even scratched the surface of what can be done with some methods that we can't do in photojournalism. I remember when I was in school and I started screwing around with some photoshop filters and effects to alter a photograph for a Christmas present. I remember thinking that there was a whole world behind that curtain, but I never dove in.

Not to say that I would have nearly the talent or creativity to come up with the compositions that this guy has made.

There's another really inventive digital photographer who explains all of his techniques on his website. I think he's a grad student at Cambridge in England and he's spent tons of time photographing around campus.

All of his stuff is amazing as well. He's really into post-manipulating photos to try and mimic what the human eye really sees to highlight the fact that the human eye is the perfect camera. Despite all of our leaps in technology, we have yet to create a camera that can actually see the same way that our eye sees.

The human eye is capable of focusing on multiple objects at once. And our eyes can automatically adjust 'exposure' so our brains can two differently-lit objects as evenly lit. Cameras are a poor imitation of the perfectly designed dual cameras that God gave us.

He explains a lot of it on his website. The photographs are phenomenal to look at, and his knowledge about the human eye and photographic techniques is extremely insightful.

You may find yourself like me, wanting to purchase prints from this site. Or at least wanting to go to Cambridge.